Creating a ChatGPT account is easy. You need a verified account with a valid email and phone number to use ChatGPT.
Here, we’ll provide you with step-by-step instructions on creating a new ChatGPT account and getting started.
Creating a ChatGPT account
Creating a new account on ChatGPT is completely free of charge. You can create as many new accounts as you want on ChatGPT, as long as you verify your email address and phone number. Let’s dive into the details:
1. Visit the ChatGPT Login Page
When you visit the website, you’ll encounter two options: “Log in” and “Sign Up”. Click on the “Sign Up” button.
You can also create an account using the ChatGPT mobile app. The same situation applies to the mobile app. When you open the app, you should click on the “Sign up with email” button that appears.
You will be redirected to a new page where you can enter your account details.
2. Provide Your Email Address
Enter your email address in the designated field. Make sure to use a valid email address as it will be used for account verification and communication purposes.
Instead of using email address, you can also sign up with your Google, Microsoft or Apple ID account.
After confirming your email address, you cannot change your account’s email address. You can only add new email addresses.
3. Set a Strong Password
Your password must be at least 8 characters long.
Choose a strong password that meets the specified criteria. A strong password typically includes a combination of uppercase and lowercase letters, numbers, and special characters.
Remember to keep your password secure and avoid sharing it with anyone.
4. Verify Your Email Address
After completing setting a password, OpenAI will send a verification email to the address you provided. Check your inbox and click on the verification link to confirm your account.
- If you didn’t receive the email, click Resend email.
- If you still haven’t received the email, check your spam or junk folder.
5. Enter your first and last name
After verifying your email address, ChatGPT will prompt you to enter your first name and last name.
6. Verify your phone number
Enter your phone number and click Send code. ChatGPT will send you a text message for phone verification.
Learn more: Why does ChatGPT require phone number?
- ChatGPT is not yet supported in all countries. If you have a phone number from an unsupported country, you won’t be able to create an account.
- Using a virtual phone number (VoIP) to circumvent phone verification won’t work, as ChatGPT can recognize VoIP phone numbers.
You have successfully created your ChatGPT account.
Now log in to your account and start using ChatGPT. You can refer to our complete guide for ChatGPT.
Also note that you can delete your ChatGPT account permanently whenever you wish.
Common Sign Up Errors and Solutions
You may have encountered some errors when creating a new account. To address problems with signing up, you can follow the steps below:
1. Using landline or VoIP phone numbers
Verification is not allowed with landline or VoIP numbers. If ChatGPT mistakenly identifies your phone as a landline or VoIP, you can reach out to support team.
ChatGPT may sometimes perceive your phone as a landline, VoIP, or premium number incorrectly. When contacting support, provide your name, phone number, email address, and the name of your mobile phone provider for assistance.
2. Unsupported email address
If your email address is unsupported, the issue might be related to your network or browser. If you encounter the message “The email you provided is not supported,” you can try the following steps:
- Disconnect from your VPN when creating your ChatGPT account.
- If you’re using a phone or tablet with Wi-Fi, switch to your mobile data. If you’re already using mobile data, switch to Wi-Fi.
- Clear your cache and cookies.
- Attempt signing up again using a new Incognito or Private window.
- Use a different web browser or device.
- If none of these methods work, consider creating a new email address specifically for signing up for ChatGPT.
3. Having already an account
When you receive the ‘Account Already Exists’ error, use the ‘Forgot Password’ option to reset your password for this email address or use a different email address.
This can happen if you previously attempted to create an account but didn’t complete the sign-up process or if you used a different authentication method (e.g., signing up with your Google account instead of entering your Gmail address).
In a new incognito window, try signing in using one of the following options:
- Continue with Google (for gmail.com addresses)
- Continue with Microsoft (for outlook.com, hotmail.com, or live.com addresses)
- Continue with Apple (for icloud.com, me.com, or mac.com addresses)
4. Suspicious behavior from entered phone number
This message means that your phone number cannot be used for creating an account. Try a different phone number, or contact try to contact the OpenAI team for help.
5. Can’t receive SMS text
Check your SMS text block settings. If you encounter the error message “We couldn’t verify your phone number,” it’s possible that your phone is blocking texts from the short code (short phone number) used by ChatGPT.
The short code often used is 22395, which is also shared by several other services like Twitch, Ring, and Airbnb.
For iPhone users:
- Open the Settings app and tap on Phone.
- Select Blocked Contacts. If you find the number 22395 or a similar short code, swipe left on the number and tap Unblock.
- Tap the back button until you return to Settings, then tap on Messages.
- If “Filter Unknown Senders” is enabled, temporarily disable it by toggling the switch.
- If “Send as SMS” is not enabled, enable it by toggling the switch.
- Request ChatGPT to send the phone verification text again.
For Android users:
- Open the Messages app and tap the three-dot menu ⋮.
- Choose Spam & blocked (stock Android) or go to Settings > Block numbers and spam > Block messages (Samsung Galaxy).
- If you find a text from ChatGPT in your blocked messages, tap or long-press it, then tap Unblock or Restore.
- Request ChatGPT to send the phone verification text again. If you don’t receive it, check your blocked messages as the confirmation number might be there.
6. We couldn’t verify your phone number
Try entering your phone number in a different format. Some users have experienced issues with the sign-up form being sensitive to the phone number format.
If you encounter the error message ‘We couldn’t verify your phone number,’ you can attempt the following solutions that have proven effective for others:
- Include the country code at the beginning of the phone number, using a plus (+) sign. For example, +44 12345678.
- Enter the country code a second time, even if it already appears with a plus (+) sign at the beginning. For example, if your phone number is +1 (123) 456-7890, try entering +11234567890.
- Attempt putting two zeros (00) between the country code and phone number.
- Add two zeros after the country code, retype the country code, and then add two more zeros. Afterward, enter the rest of your phone number.
How to upgrade your account to ChatGPT Plus?
After creating your account, you can upgrade to the paid ChatGPT Plus membership.
ChatGPT Plus is a paid subscription service that provides users with faster response times, priority access to new features such as Plugins and Image Input, and access to ChatGPT even during peak hours.
ChatGPT Plus members also have the added benefit of being able to use the latest GPT-4 model.
Learn more: How to use GPT-4 model in ChatGPT?
To upgrade your ChatGPT Plus subscription, follow these steps:
Login to your account
Head over to ChatGPT login page, and click on “Log in” button. Then, enter your credentials to complete signing in process.
Click “Upgrade to Plus” button on the menu located on the left of the main page.
After clicking this button button, a pop-up menu will open. In this pop-up, you can see the details of the free plan and the Plus plan.
To continue upgrading your account, click the ‘Upgrade Plan’ button.
At this stage, you will be prompted to provide the necessary credit card details for payment.
Then, click the ‘Subscribe’ button. Once you click the button, your payment will be processed and your upgrade to a Plus subscription will be completed.
Subscribing to ChatGPT Plus plan is completed. A confirmation message, will be displayed.
What happens If I don’t make the payment next month?
If you don’t make your payment for the next month, your ChatGPT Plus subscription will be canceled, and you will lose access to ChatGPT Plus features.
Make sure that you have sufficient funds to avoid any interruptions in your service.
If you have any issues with your payment or subscription, you can contact ChatGPT support for assistance.