You can delete your ChatGPT account easily. To do this, all you need to do is follow the steps provided in this guide. Once you complete these steps, your ChatGPT account will be deleted.
To use ChatGPT, you need to create an account. After creating your account, you can use ChatGPT and ask it anything you want. However, for any reason, if you wish to delete your account, you can easily delete it at any time. However, there are a few important things you should know.
Things you should know before deleting your account
- Deleting your account is permanent and can not be undone.
- You can not use the same email address or phone number to create a new account for security reasons.
- Deleting your ChatGPT account will permanently remove all your chat history and associated data. This information cannot be recovered once the account is deleted.
- If you have any active ChatGPT Plus subscription linked to your account, deleting your account may result in the termination of those services.
- ChatGPT with API access will also be deleted.
- You can export all your ChatGPT data and conversations before deleting your account
Deleting ChatGPT Account: Step-by-Step Guide for Browser and Mobile
You can delete your account either through browser or ChatGPT mobile application.
For browser users
- Go to the ChatGPT website and log in to your account.
- After logging in, click on the three dots icon located in the bottom-left corner of the left menu on the homepage, where your account name is displayed.
- From the options that appear, click on the “Settings” button.
- In the opened pop-up window, click on the “Data Controls” tab.
- Scroll down the screen until you see the “Delete your account” text. Click on the “Delete” button next to it.
- Confirm your decision to delete your account by providing the necessary confirmation. Once you complete this step, your account will be deleted.
For mobile application users
- Open the ChatGPT mobile app and log in to your account.
- On the app’s home screen, tap on the three dots(…) icon located in the top-right corner of the screen.
- In the window that appears, tap on the “Settings” button.
- In the opened window, scroll down and tap on the “Data Controls” option.
- From the menu that appears, tap on the “Delete your account” button.
- Follow the necessary confirmation steps to proceed with deleting your account. Once you complete these steps, your will complete deleting your account.
According to OpenAI’s security policies, after deleting your account, you cannot create a new account with the same email address and phone number.
Can I delete my chat history in ChatGPT?
Yes, you can delete only the saved conversation history without deleting your account. You have the option to delete individual conversations one by one or delete them all of them at once.
Learn more: How to delete ChatGPT conversation history?
Can I change the email address of my account?
You cannot change your email address for your ChatGPT account. However, you can continue to use multiple email addresses with your existing account by adding a new one.
Changing your password is simple. On the login screen, click on the “forgot password” option, and you can reset your password through the email sent to your registered email address.