ChatGPT normally doesn’t have internet access. WebChatGPT Chrome extension allows you to access the internet while using ChatGPT. Thus, you can view responses from internet alongside ChatGPT’s answers to your questions.
Here, you can find how to install WebChatGPT Chrome extension, and how to use it.
Introduction to WebChatGPT Chrome Extension
WebChatGPT is a free and open-source browser extension that enables web access in
ChatGPT for all users (Free and Plus).
By adding the WebChatGPT Chrome extension to your browser, we can give ChatGPT internet access. This may enable us to receive more accurate and up-to-date answers.
Also read: How to connect ChatGPT to internet?
Installing the WebChatGPT Chrome Extension
To begin using the WebChatGPT Chrome extension, follow these steps:
- Open the Chrome Web Store.
- Search for “WebChatGPT” in the search bar.
- Click on the extension from the search results.
- Click on the “Add to Chrome” button.
- Confirm the installation by clicking on “Add extension” when prompted.
How to use WebChatGPT Chrome Extension?
After installing and activating the extension, follow the steps below to start using it.
Step 1: Log in to ChatGPT
After adding the WebChatGPT extension to your browser, the next step is to log in to your ChatGPT account.
- Open a new tab in your Google Chrome browser.
- Go to chat.openai.com/chat.
- Log in to your OpenAI account.
- Make sure that the “Web Access” toggle is enabled at the bottom.
Step 2: Set Up Your Preferences
Now that you’ve logged in to ChatGPT, you can set up your preferences for the WebChatGPT extension.
- Below the ChatGPT text box and next to the web access toggle, you should be able to see 4 settings.
- Select how many results to fetch, 3-5 is a good starting point.
- Set up the time and region in which to fetch results from.
- Optional: Click on “Default prompt” and then “+New prompt” to create your own template for prompts when using the WebChatGPT extension.
Step 4: Live Web Search with ChatGPT
Once you have customized your preferences, you can now experience extension.
With the ability to fetch real-time information from the web, ChatGPT becomes more proficient.
Simply enter your query in the ChatGPT while web access toggle is enabled. The extension will present you with the most recent and relevant information related to your query, and provide citations when applicable.
You can consult up to 10 results to obtain the most precise information, although fetching too many results may yield poorer outcomes.
Step 5: Disabling Web Access
If you wish to revert ChatGPT back to its default state, you can easily disable web access using the toggle. Alternatively, you can uninstall the extension from your browser.
The WebChatGPT Chrome extension is a valuable tool that grants ChatGPT internet access for more accurate and up-to-date answers. By following the steps above, you can set up the extension and begin searching for the most recent information with ChatGPT.
Alternative Ways to Connect ChatGPT to the Internet
Under normal circumstances, ChatGPT does not have direct internet access. However, there are various ways to connect ChatGPT to the internet, one of which is by using a Chrome extension mentioned in this article. However, it is not limited to just that.
With the new ChatGPT web browsing feature or ChatGPT plugins, you can also make ChatGPT connect to the internet.
Learn More: What are ChatGPT Plugins and how to use them?
That’s it. Thanks for reading our guide on using WebChatGPT Chrome extension.